The Greek Cypriot side is ready to resume talks immediately from the point they ended in the summer of 2017, President Nicos Anastasiades said on Monday.
“What we are trying to do is to convey a clear message about our positions,” he said of his meetings with UN special envoy Jane Holl Lute over the weekend. “And there is one message: We are ready to start the dialogue today even, from where it was left in July 2017.”
Anastasiades met Lute for three hours on Sunday after she met Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci earlier in the day.
The UN is trying to help the two sides agree on the terms of reference that would enable resumption of reunification talks.
The UN official will see Akinci again on Monday at 2pm and Anastasiades at 4.30pm.
Speaking in Paralimni, Anastasiades expressed hope Turkey would also respond to the UN effort since it played a key role in the island’s division.
Anastasiades said he was ready at any moment to meet Akinci, adding it was the Turkish Cypriot leader who refused.
“I am not the one who refuses. Don’t forget that in two meetings, in April and later before the opening of the checkpoints, Akinci did not even want photographers because he did not want to give the impression that the talks had resumed.”