The dinner scheduled between Cypriot President Nikos Anastasiades and the Turkish-Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci will be held on the 16th of April, under the auspices of the United Nations. According to an announcement issued by the UN, it will be hosted by the Deputy Special Advisor of the Secretary-General on Cyprus, Elizabeth Spehar, at the Chief of Mission’s residence in the buffer zone.
Speaking on Sunday after an event to commemorate the EOKA anniversary, Anastasiades said that it has no official agenda and that it is just a social dinner, but that the two leaders will assess the steps to be followed as regards the settlement negotiations. This informal meeting will be the starting point, that will help the two decide how to move on.
Despite that, the dinner date has been set by the UN while Turkey has issued a new NAVTEX. Anastasiades said that if the dinner had a substantive content, he would have taken into account the illegal actions of Ankara.
Anastasiades refrained from commenting on statements made by Akinci on the Cyprus problem and added that the country needs peace and stability, which can only be achieved through dialogue.
It is reminded that in an interview last week to Al Jazeera, Akinci reiterated that the responsibility for the lack of progress lies with the Greek Cypriot government and that he would not accept an open-ended procedure. Specifically, he noted that [the Greek-Cypriots] are always ready for talks, but that they are not ready for taking decisions, and added that “of course, if we want to solve the problem, we need to talk but, at some point, we need to take decisions” and underlined the need for a sign by the Greek Cypriot side that its mentality has changed.