We collect different types of information about our users for four main reasons:
- To provide personalized services unique to individual users.
- To help us to monitor and improve the services we offer.
- To sell advertising space on the site.
- If we have permission from the user, to market services to them.
There may be other privacy policies that apply to certain services we provide. Please read these when you register or subscribe for these services on these sites.
1 We do our very best to protect your privacy by using security technology appropriately. This means:
- we make sure that we have appropriate security measures to protect your information; and
- we make sure that when we ask another organization to provide a service for us, they have appropriate security measures.
2 We will respect your privacy. You should receive marketing emails only from us and, if you agree, from other organizations we have carefully chosen.
3. We will collect and use individual user details only if we have your permission or we have sensible business reasons for doing so.
4. We will be clear in our dealings with you as to what information about you we will collect and how we will use it.
5. We will use personal information only for the purposes for which it was originally collected and we will make sure we delete it securely.
6. Our site is accessible via the internet. This means that people around the world who access our website can see anything you post on the website, for example, comments about an article.
7. If we or our service providers transfer any information out of the European Economic Area (EEA), it will only be done with the relevant protection being in place.
How we use your information
What information do we collect?
We collect information on you:
- when you use the website
- through cookies
- if you choose to reveal information in postings, and
- when you enter sales promotions and competitions.
Certain services that we provide may involve us collecting extra information, such as where you are, so the service can be provided as designed.
Who we share data with
We will not share your personal information with others for marketing purposes unless you have given us your permission. If we have your permission, we will share your information only with other organizations we have chosen carefully.
We can access and release personal information to keep to relevant laws and government requests, to operate our systems properly and to protect both us and our users.
Any other organizations who access your information in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your information and keep to data-protection and privacy laws which apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards. We may use service providers to help us run these sites (or services available on the sites), some of whom may be based outside the EEA.
Some of our webpages use plug-ins from other organizations (such as the ‘Facebook Recommend’ function). These other organizations may use information about your visit to our websites on their pages. If you browse these pages while still also logged in to your account with us, information they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organizations use information, please read their privacy policies.
1 For statistical purposes to track how many users we have and how often they visit our websites. We collect information listing which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users and from which countries.
2 We use other organizations to collect anonymous user information, sometimes through cookies and web beacons,(information embedded in images which allow them to analyze how the website is being used and the number of visitors).
5 We may use ‘Flash’ cookies to store your preferences for your media player (for example, volume and so on). If we don’t use them, you may not be able to watch some video content.
You can turn cookies off but if you do this, you may not be able to use all services on our websites and you might see more pop-ups and other advertising. This is because we won’t be able to limit what you see by using cookies. However, you will still be able to see our editorial content.
For more information about cookies and managing them, including how to turn them off, please visit our page on Cookies.
We use Google Analytics on our site for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/).