Kabul: suicide bombers claim 25 lives

On Monday morning a coordinated double suicide bombing hit central Kabul, Afghanistan claiming 25 lives so far, including journalists, according to Afghan officials. There were also at least 45 wounded as the search continues, Associated Press reports.

The attack was not claimed by any group, but both the Taliban and the so-called Islamic State have conducted attacks in Kabul in the past.

The suicide attacks took place in the central Shash Darak area, which is home to the NATO headquarters and a number of embassies in Afghanistan. The second was meant to hit those rushing to the scene of the attack to help the victims of the first blast.

Kabul chief of police Dawood Amin said the area of Kabul that was targeted, which includes many foreign offices, was quickly sealed off. Mohammad Mousa Zahir, director of Wazir Akbarkhan Hospital, said several people suffering injuries from the blasts were being treated at the hospital.

The local Islamic State group affiliate and the more firmly established Taliban carry out regular attacks around the country, with the Taliban usually targeting the government and security forces and IS targeting the Shiite minority. Large-scale attacks by the two militant groups have also hit the Afghan capital. Both groups want to establish strict Islamic rule in Afghanistan.

Comments

The Greek Observer considers that every reader has the right to express their opinions freely. However, we explicitly emphasize that The Greek Observers’ editorial team does not adopt user opinions. Please express your opinions in a decent manner. Comments that include, insults will be deleted by the team and the users will be banned from commenting.