Fotis Kouvelis: Report on ‘Agia Zoni II’ sinking not sent to shipping ministry
The expert report on the sinking of the tanker “Agia Zoni II” in the Saronic Gulf in 2017 has not been sent to the shipping ministry, Shipping and Island Policy Minister Fotis Kouvelis said on Wednesday during an interview, commenting on an article.
“As far as I know, it will be sent to the appropriate prosecuting authorities for consideration, along with other evidence, in the context of a more general investigation conducted and still underway by the relevant committee on the causes of the specific shipwreck, which resulted in the pollution of the environment,” Kouvelis said.
He declined to comment on the report’s findings and whether explosives had been found, noting that all this would be taken under advisement by the prosecuting authorities in charge of the case.
According to the report in ‘Ta Nea’, the sinking of the tanker may have been caused by the explosion of a bomb or other type of explosive mechanism. While no traces of explosives or any mechanism have been found, it said, this might be explained by the ship’s long immersion after it sank.
Shipping ministry sources, meanwhile, said that the three experts appointed to investigate the shipwreck have not yet submitted their reports on what caused it.
The oil tanker Agia Zoni II sank while at anchorage west of the port of Piraeus on September 10, 2017. The vessel was loaded with 2 194 metric tons of heavy fuel oil and 370 metric tons of marine gas oil. An unconfirmed quantity of the oil spilled into the sea, causing an oil slick that extended westward from the east coast of Salamina to coastal areas in the vicinity of the Port of Piraeus and southern Attica.